Is Face Lift Surgery Right for You?
By Peter Fisher, MD on January 20, 2017
When the signs of aging affect the face, face lift surgery may be able to help. The face lift procedure targets sagging skin and wrinkles for improved skin firmness and texture. Many people who wish to enhance their appearance and reverse the hands of time make excellent candidates for face lift surgery. However, face lift surgery is not suitable for all patients. Plastic surgeon Peter Fisher identifies face lift candidates during consultations at our San Antonio, TX practice. To find out if you're a candidate for face lift surgery, we invite you to schedule a consultation at our practice.
Qualifications for Face Lift Surgery
Facelift surgery is one of the most effective ways to restore the face to a more youthful appearance, making it a popular plastic surgery procedure. Many people who wish to rejuvenate their appearance are suitable candidates for face lift surgery. Candidates should be healthy enough to tolerate surgery. Those who should not undergo face lift surgery include those with cardiovascular disease, uncontrolled diabetes, or other serious health problems. Candidates generally range between the ages of 40 and 70, but younger or older people may also be suitable candidates.
Ideal candidates include those who identify with one or more of the following:
- Wrinkles or deep lines: Fine lines, wrinkles, or deep creases may be smoothed with face lift surgery for an enhanced, more youthful appearance.
- Sagging jowls: Sagging jowls are a common complaint. Face lift surgery can eliminate sagging tissue from the jowls, improving skin firmness.
- Drooping neck tissue: Drooping neck tissue may also be addressed with the face lift procedure, further improving the overall appearance.
- Good skin elasticity: Patients with good skin elasticity often make ideal candidates for face lift surgery as tissue with good elasticity responds best to surgery, yielding exceptional results.
- Realistic expectations: It's important to have realistic expectations when undergoing face lift surgery, or any plastic surgery. Although a face lift can erase years from the face, it cannot completely reverse the hands of time. In general, patients who undergo face lift surgery can expect to look about 10 years younger.
The Benefits of Facelift Surgery
There are many benefits of face lift surgery, making it a popular treatment for those who wish to enhance their appearance and reverse the most noticeable signs of aging. Patients who undergo facelift surgery may experience such benefits as:
- Rejuvenated appearance: A face lift can help diminish the signs of aging, including loose skin and deep lines and wrinkles, revealing a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance.
- Improved skin texture and firmness: Face lift surgery can reduce the appearance of sagging, loose skin, improving skin firmness and texture.
- Increased confidence: A face lift can help boost confidence by rejuvenating the appearance, allowing those who have been unhappy with issues such as sagging jowls, deep lines, and wrinkles, to enjoy a more youthful look.
Are You a Candidate for Face Lift Surgery?
For more information about the face lift procedure and to find out if you're a candidate, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Fisher.
Related to This
Dr. Fisher has been available to answer all of my questions and provide me with not only professional medical expertise, but also a much appreciated level of personal empathy. I would 100% recommend Dr. Fisher to anyone who is considering plastic surgery.Brandi