Why Do I Have Loose Skin After Massive Weight Loss?
By Peter Fisher, MD on August 18, 2019
Losing weight has many benefits to your health and wellness. It can also have a major impact on your appearance, though there could be some unexpected hurdles involving loose, stretched out skin. That’s where Dr. Peter Fisher can help by performing body contouring after massive weight loss.
The team at our San Antonio, TX plastic surgery center would like to consider how the skin is affected when a person gains a lot of weight and then loses it. We’ll then discuss how to take care of that loose, unwanted skin.
What Happens to Your Skin When You Gain Weight
As you gain weight, your skin stretches out to accommodate your added body mass. The stretching isn’t too pronounced if you put on just a few pounds, but it can be extremely noticeable if you pack on a lot of extra body weight. People who are obese or morbidly obese will have a lot of skin that’s stretched out, particularly around the stomach, hips, buttocks, and thighs.
What Happens to Your Skin When You Lose Weight
When you lose a lot of weight, the underlying layers of body fat will go away. Your stretched out skin, however, won’t go away. That means a lot of loose skin and drooping in different parts of your body. You’ll likely have stretch marks as well, which show you how your skin had expanded to accommodate your added weight.
Will My Skin Shrink Back at All?
While the skin will naturally shrink back a little bit, there will still be a lot of loose skin that won’t shrink back. This is just the nature of skin elasticity, and the reality of the effects of weight gain and weight loss on your skin.
Thankfully, you don’t have to live with that loose skin if you don’t want to. Body contouring surgery can remove this excess skin and give you a trimmer and slimmer frame in the process. That’s what we can do here at the San Antonio Plastic Surgery Center.
Common Body Contouring Surgeries After Major Weight Loss
After major weight loss, there are a few common body contouring surgeries that most patients undergo:
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) - The tummy tuck is ideal for removing loose skin around the lower abdominal area. The extended tummy tuck can also help revise the love handles and flanks.
- Thigh Lift (Thighplasty) - The thigh lift is excellent for loose skin of the thighs, and especially helpful for the inner thighs after major weight loss.
- Butt Lift - When extreme weight loss leads to a drooping or sagging butt, the butt lift can remove the loose skin and help you have a more appealing figure.
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty) - Flabby shoulders and triceps are major issues when you lose a lot of weight. The arm lift can remove the excess skin and reveal the shape and tone of your arms.
- Breast Lift (Mastopexy) - Extreme weight loss can affect the breasts, which is why a breast lift isn’t uncommon after major weight loss. For men, special surgeries can be performed to help remove loose skin from the pectoral area.
Custom Body Lift Surgery for Major Weight Loss
Since weight loss can have numerous effects on the body, we can combine multiple procedures listed above into a total body lift. This will help remove all of the unwanted loose skin you have. We at the San Antonio Plastic Surgery Center will work closely with you to create a custom body lift procedure.
Learn More About Body Lift Surgery
For more information about treating loose skin after major weight loss, be sure to contact a skilled cosmetic body contouring and sculpting surgeon. Dr. Fisher and his team can be reached by phone at (210) 616-0798.
Related to This
Dr. Fisher has been available to answer all of my questions and provide me with not only professional medical expertise, but also a much appreciated level of personal empathy. I would 100% recommend Dr. Fisher to anyone who is considering plastic surgery.Brandi